Work Experience Education

Work Permit Questions

California Limitations of Hours Worked by Minor


A student must:

  • Obtain a job within three weeks of enrollment

  • Complete a Work Permit, submit to school & job

  • Be a junior or senior

  • Maintain a 2.0 GPA

  • Have good attendance at school

  • Be enrolled in four district classes

  • Be employed at a work site where at least minimum wage is paid and deductions are taken

  • Covered by Workers’ Compensation by the Employer


  • A student in Work Experience can:

  • Earn school credit for working.

  • Earn money while learning. A WE student can work a maximum of 32 hours per week.

  • Learn knowledge, skills, work habits and attitudes necessary for successful job performance.

  • Develop a sense of responsibility and self reliance through supervised, paid employment experiences.


  • Enroll in Outside Work Experience:

    • OWE (8170-100) = 4 PERIOD

  • Complete the required Work Experience forms that will be given to you by the office (or download)

  • Attend the Work Experience classes and complete class assignments.

  • Submit Monthly time cards signed by the work site supervisor verifying hours worked with pay stubs

  • Average at least 10 to 20 hours of work per week


  • Labor Laws for Minors

  • Occupational Safety Training

  • Sexual Harassment

  • Payroll Deductions and Pay Stubs

  • Income Taxes

  • Customer Service Skills

  • Career Exploration

  • Employment Skills

  • Economic Awareness

  • How to Properly Leave a Job

  • And more…

Make a free website with